Published on May 18th, 2012 | by DriftMission.com Staff9
Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2
We now have official pictures and specifications from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Looks like the Tamiya TA-05 VDF 2 will not come CS ready as everyone initially suspected. The new TA-05 VDF 2 will be officially announced at Shizouka with many new features and improvements over its preprocessor.
The new TA05 VDF2 has been improved over the original VDF. It has essentially been redesigned to fit the modern RC Drift standards. Now with a 2.5mm main chassis, they look to optimize the mechanical traction and roll characteristics of the chassis. The steering assembly has been redesigned, so now it will be adjustable for Ackerman and overall steering angle. The motor mount has been drastically redesigned, it is now located farther up the front of the chassis. There is also an addition of a third belt, we suspect it is similar to the R31 style intermediate belt.
This is an evolved version of Item 84132 TA05-VDF chassis. The original VDF’s basic layout has been kept, but the vertical double frame has been changed to a single frame to offer greater chassis roll flexibility. The carbon fiber lower deck has also been redesigned with more roll flexibility. The 3-belt drivetrain features a new aluminum motor bulkhead which has a lower spur gear position. In addition, the parallel geometry steering setup enables a wider range of setting possibilities. Just like its predecessor, the new VDF II chassis also comes with high-spec parts such as TRF dampers, short reversible suspension arms, front ball differential, and rear direct coupling.
Unfortunately this is does not come countersteer CS ready, it will be a 50/50 setup running (37T/18T). So far that is all the information available from Tamiya’s announcement of their Shizouka release line-up.
84294 Tamiya TA-05 VDF2 Specifications
- 2.5mm carbon lower deck
- Designed for more flexibility and mechanical traction
- New motor mount design
- Addition of center belt (3 belt design?)
- Adjustable steering assembly
- 37T front and rear pulleys
- 18T center pulleys
- Aluminium turnbuckles
- TRF dampers
- Universal driveshafts
- Aluminium steering assembly
- Drive-train: 4WD
- Drive type: belt
- Drive line: universal
- Differential type: direct coupling (spool) & ball differential
- Suspension: fully independent double wishbone
- Steering mechanism: bell-crank
- Shock damper: oil-filled damper
- Shock damper material: aluminum
- Bearings: shielded ball bearing
- Chassis material: carbon fiber plate
- Adjustable camber: yes
- Adjustable toe angles: front and rear
- Adjustable ride height: yes
- Adjustable gear ratio: yes
- Adjustable wheelbase: yes
- Adjustable track width: yes
- Adjustable shock angle: yes
- Anti-squat adjustment: yes
- Droop adjustment: yes
- Special features: triple belt drive-train, short reversible suspension from TRF416-417, TA05V2 & TB-03
Approximate MSRP: ¥49800JPY
Expected to be available in Late May 2012.
Source: Tamiya Japan